Statue of Don Gaspar De Portola


Portolastatue.jpg
The statue of Don Gaspar De Portola was given to California by its Spanish sister state, Catalonia, in 1988. It was placed at the corner of Highway 1 and Crespi Drive in Pacifica. The location is near where the Portola expedition camped prior to ascending Sweeney Ridge, where expedition members made the first recorded sighting of San Francisco Bay by Europeans, at the beginning of November, 1769.