Portola Expedition: Monday, October 30, 1769

To Martini Creek
California Historical Landmark No. 25


PHS WEB 33Martini'sCreek.jpg

Gaspar de Portolá


The 30th, we traveled for two hours and a half; on the road it was necessary to cross several gullies and to make two bridges. We halted on the shore, having sufficient water but no fire-wood.


Miguel Costansó


The day dawned with indications of pleasant weather. The wind was cold from the north, and the sky clear. We broke camp, and, following the beach until we left the point of the rocks to the west, we passed over some hills, and crossed some canyons, in which there were deep gulley’s of water, which detained us because it was necessary to throw small bridges over them. We halted near the shore, along which the passage was entirely closed by a steep hill, at the foot of which ran a stream of good water. This stream flowed from a hollow formed by various hills; at the extreme end of this, close to the hills, we pitched our camp, which was thus protected to the north. Today's march was one league. The place was afterward known by the name of Rincón de las Almejas. In the afternoon, the sergeant of the presidio was sent out to seek a means of egress for the following day's march.


Fray Juan Crespi


The day opened clear, with a pleasing aspect, and the sick felt better. Accordingly the governor decided to resume the march, which was done. We started about nine in a northwesterly direction along the beach, near which there are mesas and low hills with good grass although burned. We crossed four or five arroyos, with good streams of running water, which caused us some trouble and delay, because it was necessary in some cases to bridge them before the pack train could cross. Near the point was noticed a good little bay, with pasture, good water and land, which would be suitable for a town if there were any firewood; but it lacks this advantage, for not even a twig could be found, for which reason they had to carry the wood necessary for the use of the people from the preceding camping place. We stopped not far from the shore at the foot of some hills which prevent us from passing along the beach. They form a valley sheltered from the north, from which flows an arroyo with plenty of good water. The camp was pitched on its bank, after a march of two leagues, which we made in three hours and a half. I called the point Angel Custodio, but on account of the large number of mussels which they found on this beach, very good and large, the men called it Punta de las Almejas.


October 29 Day two at Pilarcitos Creek
October 31 To San Pedro Creek
Portola Expedition 1769 Diaries