Saturday, December 16, 1769
To Jolon Valley.



Gaspar de Portolá
The 16th, we traveled for five hours and a half over the road by which we had come and made the same distance as on the outward journey.

Miguel Costansó
We left the canyon of the river, entering now the Sierra de Santa Lucía through another canyon, open from the northeast to the southwest. In this was situated the Ranchería del Palo Caído, which we found deserted. The day's march was four leagues. We halted near a very small watering-place, in which the animals could not drink.

Fray Juan Crespi
We set out from this place, and, leaving the valley behind us, entered another open one which the explorers found, more convenient and with a better road by which to enter
Sierra de Santa Lucia, which runs from northwest to southeast. In this valley we found the village of Palo Caido, and we stopped near a small water place, where the animals could not drink. The march covered four leagues. In this day's journey one of the soldier explorers recovered a mule which he had left exhausted on the 26th of September. The heathen had taken such good care of it that they kept it in the village and carried water and grass to it, so that it had become very fat.


December 15 To the Salinas River, two miles south of King City (Sept. 26).
December 17 To the Nacimiento River (Sept. 21-23).